Want to learn more about mental immunity? We’ve compiled some of our favorite resources to help.
- CIRCE*: The think-tank behind the Mental Immunity Project
- Thinking Is Power*: A first rate online resource for teachers and critical thinkers
- Cranky Uncle*: A fun, interactive game that can boost your mind’s immune system
- Street Epistemology*: How to explore foundational beliefs without triggering people
- First Draft*: A treasure trove of tools for combatting online mis- and disinformation
- Inoculation Science*: Short videos that inoculate against online misinformation
- News Literacy Project: Helping to create a more news-literate America
- Civic Online Reasoning: Curricula that empower students to explore online safely
- Pew Research Center: An excellent source of research on misinformation
If you purchase one of the following books through Amazon, we may earn a small commission for referring you. This helps us keep our website running and allows us to continue providing valuable information to our readers. Thanks for your support!
- Mental Immunity: Infectious Ideas, Mind-Parasites, and the Search for a Better Way to Think, by Andy Norman.* Learn how the world’s best thinkers spot and shed bad ideas.
- Foolproof: Why Misinformation Infects Our Minds and How to Build Immunity, by Sander van der Linden.* Brilliant overview of the science of mental immunity and why it’s essential.
- How to Talk to a Science Denier, by Lee McIntyre.* A world authority on science denial goes under cover at a Flat Earth convention. What could go wrong?
- What the Fact?: Finding the Truth in All the Noise, by Seema Yasmin.* How to tell fact from fiction.
- Cranky Uncle vs. Climate Change: How to Understand and Respond to Climate Science Deniers , by John Cook.* How to help people accept the reality of climate change.
- Good Thinking: Why Flawed Logic Puts Us All at Risk and How Critical Thinking Can Save the World, by David Robert Grimes.* How to protect yourself from charlatans and bad thinking.
- This View Of Life: Completing the Darwinian Revolution by David Sloan Wilson.* A stirring call to apply evolutionary thinking to our world’s most important social problems.
- The Skeptic’s Guide to Sports Science, by Nicholas Tiller. How to protect yourself from snake oil salesmen.
- Science Denial: What It Is and What to Do About It, by Gale Sinatra.*
- Science Unlimited?: The Challenges of Scientism by Maarten Boudry* and Massimo Pigliucci.
- Conspiracy: Why the Rational Believe the Irrational, by Michael Shermer.*
- How Minds Change: The Surprising Science of Belief, Opinion, and Persuasion, by David McRaney. Why facts often don’t change our minds — and what does work to change them.
Guides and Handbooks
- A guide to prebunking: a promising way to inoculate against misinformation (First Draft)
- Debunking Handbook 2020, by John Cook* and Stephan Lewandowsky* (Center for Climate Change Communication)
- A Practical Guide to Prebunking Misinformation (Google Jigsaw)
Articles and Videos
- Can You Outsmart a Troll (by Thinking Like One)? by Claire Wardle* (TED-Ed): A great lesson on pre-bunking
- The Science of Mental Immunity Has Arrived by Andy Norman* (This View of Life): Andy lays out the basics of Cognitive Immunology
- Prebunking Manipulation Techniques: Emotional Language (Info Interventions): A lesson from Inoculation Science (website above)
- Why We Need to Develop Mental Immunity: Dr. Seema Yasmin on searching for the truth in today’s information ecosystem by Seema Yasmin* (The Hub)
- Disinformation? There are Remedies for That! by Andy Norman* and Harris Eyre* (Psychiatric Times): An Introduction to Cognitive Immunology
- Learning and the Contaminated Mind by Jamie Hale (Center for Inquiry): A lesson on Mindware and dysrationalia
- Building a Healthy Cognitive Immune System (Institute for the Future): An infographic and report that are ahead of their time
- How to Sell Pseudoscience by Melanie Trecek-King* (Skeptical Inquirer ): Learn to sell pseudoscience so you’re better at spotting it
- How to Inoculate Yourself Against Misinformation by Melanie Trecek-King* (Thinking Is Power): exactly what the title says!
- Cultural Immune Systems as Parts of Cultural Superorganisms by David Sloan Wilson* (ProSocial World): The evolutionary context of Cognitive Immunology
- Bad News*: Confers resistance against manipulative information by putting players in the position of the people who create it.
- Cranky Uncle*: Uses cartoons and humor to expose the misleading techniques of science denial.
- Go Viral*: Infodemic game that teaches players how to spot coronavirus misinformation in 5 minutes.
Podcasts and YouTube Channels
- This View of Life Pod: David Sloan Wilson’s* podcast
- This View of Life: David Sloan Wilson’s* This View of Life Magazine’s YouTube channel
- Anthony Magnabosco: Street Epistemology*: Anthony has respectful conversations with people about their beliefs on YouTube
- 502 Conversations: Podcast conversations with skeptics, scientists, and thinkers
- Center for Inquiry: The leading skeptic’ nonprofit doing very important work (YouTube channel)
- The War on Pineapple: This podcast tells the tale of how a deliberate campaign of mind inoculation prevented the big election lie from corrupting the thinking of hundreds of election officials–and how this in turn saved American democracy from a mind-virus.
*Mental Immunity Project affiliate